I’ve been busy working on the distant hillsides. They need to be done first because they won’t fit in under the valance and go behind dioramas etc after they are in. I am planning to use foam for the basic shapes – scraps mostly and then “trees” on top. I wasn’t sure of the best way to make the trees so I have been experimenting.
I started with the basic foam shape:
I then added a layer of glue:
I was hoping to find some black quilt wadding but they didn’t have any that was fluffy enough at the local quilt shop so I bought white instead:
More glue was drizzled on:
I scrunched up bits of the wadding to make “trees”. There’s no need for trunks as they are distant hills:
The trees went on really quickly until I had a whole hill side:
I sprayed black car paint on the hill side to fill in the shadows:
Next step was to sprinkle on dark green Woodlands Scenics Fine Turf and flick it in to the crevasses. I followed by a green ground foam:
I sprayed it with a mixture of Isoproyl Alcohol and water and then dilute PVA glue:
This is what it looks like dry. It’s a nice hill side but too “close” ie not blue enough:
I tried spraying it with a dilute powder blue emulsion. The first coat was a bit thick and looked really awful:
More ground foam and a finer spray later looked much better. I then sprayed it with loads of hair spray to keep it in place:
Here the hillside is in place on the layout:
And another view:
I’ve started the section of hill to the left but it has a weird shape and needs the Martin Machine diorama and river to fit in it. I tried using a green spray rather than black as well to see if it looked better.