It’s been glorious hot sunny weather so the modelling has suffered. I did get the river bed and sculptamold land in. Bob VG has a really rocky river with another 2-3″ of height. I’m height restricted so I chose to model a flatter river, more like the prototype. It will also fit my existing river pour better too. I put Modpodge around the edge to add as a dam for the envirotex lite pour. It’s quite a lumpy barrier so I’m not sure what I’ll do for the top smoother mill pond:
I’ve been working on the scenery around the building. I’ll do the final details on the building when I’ve done the first round of scenery so I don’t knock them. I used fine grey Woodland Scenics ballast for the front of Martin Machine which I’m undecided about. I would like something a bit finer really.
Next up was the dam. I built the dam over the plans using greaseproof paper to prevent them sticking. The middle shorter support was a tad too long so is at a wierd angle but you can’t see it when everything is in.
The whole dam is built up from strip wood as the prototype was. Here’s the first layer of supports:
There are two layers of planking perpendicular to each other on top:
This is the final dam before a sculptamold fill goes on top to bring it up to water level:
This is the sculptamold fill painted brown and I had to fill a bit extra on the side of the dam. I’ve put in envirotex water dams which are the white mod podge. Bob says to pour the water more or less last but I might do it sooner rather than later as it’s at the bottom of the scenery.
In the meanwhile, I started to scratch build the wooden platform to the door to the bottom left. I scratch built the steps by notching out stringers and then gluing on the steps: