I hate track laying. I’m not very good at it and I have chosen some really odd track work including a gauge separation turnout, a crossing and a normal turnout. I keep putting it off but do need to do it sooner rather than later as I’m off to Benson on the 11th January and am taking my modules. I was hoping to have the last module’s track laid and wired in but I may need to pull my finger out a bit. I cut some tie plates from sheet styrene, sprayed them black and used a sponge to dab on Life Colour rust coloured paints:
I do have a problem with my rail sizes as my normal track is code 75 but I chose code 125 for my standard gauge track. That means everything is a different heights including my On30 main line which needs to rise to meet the standard gauge track.
I put in larger tie plates but couldn’t sand them down so ended up piling up the thinner tie plates instead.
The ties came out as different colours because the balsa wood takes on the stain differently to the round wood which came out more orangey. To tie them up I painted them all with a mix of different gouache greys. I like the warm grey best. This is just the base coat: