How to Weather Paintwork with Pastels
We’re continuing to use the Diorama Blitz Kino model kit sent to me by Doug Foscale.
This week we’re looking at how to fade paint or streak with pastels. Most people use pigments but pastels come in a wider range of colours and for fading paint, it’s easy enough to find a similar slightly lighter shade to simulate fading.
The “Real” World
A selection of photos from Lisbon and Textures.com:
The Final Result
- Car Primer – I use Halfords grey primer
- Tamiya paint – XF-7 – Flat Red, XF-64 – Red Brown, X-2 White
- Vallejo paint – 71.289 – US Dark Green
- Selection of chalk pastels in siennas, ochres, pinks and green
- Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) – I mix about 1:2 with tap water
- 00:15 Real World
- 00:40 Method
- 08:51 Final Result
If you are enjoying the series then please subscribe to my blog for the next weekly instalment: