Great Model Railway Challenge Water Diorama
At the end of one heat’s filming, they asked me to bring something to show off how water was done for the following week’s heat. I built 6 dioramas at 3 different stages of completion but in the end we only used the finished diorama. It was great fun being challenged to build a small diorama in 3 days. The resin takes 24 hours to set so it was all about timing to get everything dried before I had to take it with me to the next heat.
There’s a longer extended Patreon edition if you support me there.
The “Real” World
It’s vital to start off with photos from the real world or you just won’t be able to model convincingly. This stream is a real inspiration for me and I love using it in my models:
The Final Result
Tools and Materials
The Amazon links are all items I have either bought or bought something similar for myself. Clicking on any links to Amazon will give me a small affiliate income which I use to produce more videos. Every little helps!
- Blue Craft Foam or Insulation Foam
- Foam Factory hot wire knife
- Acetate sheets
- Silicone glue
- Raw Umber Acrylic Paint
- Tacky Glue (thicker white glue)
- Tile Grout – best to use sanded if you can. If you can’t add about half sharp sand to it.
- Isopropyl Alcohol (1/3) and Water (2/3) mix
- White Glue (1/3) and Water (2/3) Water mix
- Woodland Scenics Talus – various sizes from fine upwards
- Plastic Straw
- Halfords Black spray paint
- Rust coloured paints
- Magic Water resin
- Jute String
- Woodland Scenics ground foam – various colours such as earth fine turf T42 and green fine turf T45
- Mini Natur Plane-tree foliage summer 933-22S
- Mini Natur Maple foliage summer 930-22S
If you enjoy this then please sign up to my newsletter for the next instalment.