I’m clearing off the last few tasks on the structures. First up was to build the link as the last building before I assemble the structures.
It’s two wooden sides and a cardboard roof. I painted the laser cut walls with a Aged Wood Mig Wash, then put on rubber cement – Copydex, on the ridges before a slightly diluted coat of white Vallejo paint.
I peeled off the cement:
Then used a Cold Grey Mig Wash on top. I weathered some areas with a darker Mig Wash and some AK interactive slime colours:
Whilst I was at, I got organised and did the rest of the painted woodwork such as the covered stairs and porch canopy:
Finally I glued it in place. I left out the foundation stones that came with the kit out as my Ware knitters is lower than the brick building that the original plan joined onto:
I changed how I am going to wire the diorama with only one set of straws now coming up under Ware:
I cut a groove to channel the wires through under the buildings. My hot foam knife made this easy:
I soldered some connectors onto the wires and Ware’s roof as it is removable:
The interior roof LEDs look cool:
I then glued all the remaining interiors in place. This is Ware:
Finally I got out my big bottle of white glue and stuck everything down!
For a bit of light relief I mixed up some lichen coloured paint:
Then used an airbrush to splatter the paint off a brush onto the roof. Jury’s out on whether it looks as good as just splodging it on. More practice is needed! More practice is needed! I’ve put another Mig wash on and will try again as I realise I forgot to put the pigments in.
I still have to do the lighting in the main building plus the flashing and valleys on the roofs. My decorator has taken over the kitchen and I have a lot on over the next few weeks so that’s it on the structures before the end of February.