Snow and Ice Diorama – The Base
Please support me on Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/KathyMillatt.
Every good diorama starts with the same way with a firm foundation! I always use foam as it’s easy to carve and manipulate and is lightweight. I normally top it with a layer of sculptamold before moving on the scenery proper.
You can download my STL files for the lock gates and paddles if you are website subscriber.
I start all my dioramas the same way:
- Base Foam
- Build up foam layers
- Sculptamold layer
- Base paint layer
- Specific Scenery
The “Real” World
You can check out the original photos here.
The Final Result
Tools & Materials
The Amazon links are all items I have either bought or bought something similar for myself. Clicking on any links to Amazon will give me a small affiliate income which I use to produce more videos. Every little helps!
- Fusion 360 –
- Craft foam –
- Insulation foam – for your house from a DIY store
- Ponce Wheel
- Hot wire tools
- PVA glue
- Wire brush to roughen any smooth foam surfaces
- Black emulsion (latex) paint – I used masonry paint from the DIY store
- Lock gates – if you are a website subscriber you can download here
- Bricks from these videos:
- Deluxe Materials Create and Shape
If you enjoy this then please subscribe for the next instalment: